Monday, July 17

I'm broke but I'm happy

The above line from Alanis Morrisette was my motto for the trip, but even more so now that I'm home, relaxing, and enjoying a full "summer break" since 1996. Wait, oh my god... was 1996 actually 10 years ago? It's almost too hard to acknowledge that! Big YIKES. but taking the summer off is something everyone should do a couple times in life. You may have to live on cheap food like pop-tarts and cheez-its for a while, and not drive your car much (can't afford the gas) but it is wonderful to not have to be anywhere.

Good news: I finished sorting my photos and put all my Europe Favorites up at:
http://www.larasue.photosite.com I know, it probably seems like a lot to look at, but believe me, I scaled it way back from how many pictures I took!

If I have to pick a favorite album, I think the Holland/Belgium/Switzerland/ Germany one is the most fun. But there's lots of great photos in all the albums.

Lastly, I want to mention that in the last 2 weeks I've spent a lot of time getting reacquainted with the 20 gigs of music in my itunes which, of course I missed dearly, and I've realized now that one of the best things my trip to Europe gave me is that now when I hear songs or see photos about almost any country in Europe, I will have my own personal experiences to relate to the lyrics or the pictures. When one of my favorite songs, California by Joni Mitchell showed up on the ipod my first weekend home, it just hit me. It's even more a favorite song than ever before. here's part of it.

Sitting in a park in Paris, France
Reading the news and it sure looks bad
They won't give peace a chance
It was just a dream some of us had
Still a lot of lands to see
But I wouldn't want to stay here
It's too old and cold and settled in its ways here
Oh, but California
California, I'm coming home
I'm gonna see the folks I dig
I'll even kiss a Sunset pig
California, I'm coming home

2 comments:

Casa Ogden said...

I totally agree with that sentiment but does she really say Sunset pig? I never new that, frankly I was never sure what she said- I think I always sang it as Sunset beach or beat cause I wasn't sure. Weird...

Liz

Anonymous said...

i have a summer off too!

yay!

(right now at an Espresso Royale near the New England Conservatory -- it's got free wi-fi until the end of August; I'll be here a lot, i think)